Friday 21 December 2012

Mt. Araps trip

Woo!

Just got back from Mt. Arapiles, and was there for about a week just learning the basics of trad climbing. It's been a really interesting week in just seeing whether or not I'd pursue trad climbing, and was definitely worth the time away.

It's also confirmed that trad climbing is certainly something that I'll be chasing - I haven't really come across anything more satisfying then a couple of cute trad placements, and it's wonderful to think that you've finished a route and not left anything on the rock face (unless you start losing gear)...

I'm pretty sure that the trad climbing will also really help push the mental limit with my sports climbing as well, seeing as there's a bit mental game to it. I'm feeling like I'll be able to get some of the grading of my sports climbing better over this coming year.

To sum up, I didn't really do anything in the last week that was harder then a grade 10 climb; the only exception were a couple of grade 15 single-pitch routes that we were attempting to see if we could do on trad lead, which we did! Most of the time was learning to set bomber placements and just get confidence in our skills of setting pro and the anchors at the top.

We also went and did a bunch of the boulder problems down there, but I ended up complaining about the conditions associated with the quartzite rock; it gets super slippery real quick, which is annoying to say the least.

A quick list of the climbs we ended up doing; by no means complete as I don't have the guidebook on me:

  • A whole bunch of climbs around bushranger bluff, which were mostly introductory routes to trad. Amongst them that were slightly notable were ... the one I led (which I keep forgetting the name of), something like ... nope I can't remember -_-. But it was right next to Revolver Crack (on the right of it) and was grade 15. Also did Ghost of Melville (15).
  • Our first multipitch ever! Was Arachnus (8), 4 pitches, 120m. So beautiful.
  • And our second multipitch was Siren (10) which we did just two days ago :) Really proud.
Anyway; that sums up the week down at araps! Since I didn't really do much intense climbing over the last week or so, I'm getting back into training from today onwards :) I've got a few things in mind to get myself stronger for the coming year, and am coming back with renewed focus! Beware world!

Keep training and stay strong! I think I'll go for a big bike ride now ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment