Monday 11 February 2013

Climbing Training to reach 5.12 on lead in two months time.

So far the climbing training's all been going well; mainly just climbing a lot now (2-3 hour sessions) and trying to get through difficult moves.

It's nice that the gym that I train at doesn't have the grading on the routes; they're just classed into easy (green), medium (blue), hard (yellow), expert (red), impressive (black). I've been really pleased with the way the year's been going so far as most of the reds are coming under my control quite nicely, with some of them still been quite elusive; and I ticked my first scramble up a black the other day although I fell off a few times.

Which, I must say, brings me to my first training goal over the next couple of months! Hitting 5.12a on lead :) I have to say that with just a little underneath a year of outdoor experience, I'm not sure I'll be able to do it but at the moment I'm quite sure I can sail up 5.11b (21) with quite a bit of confidence. It'll just be the mental aspect of getting onto lead.

Having said that, the things I'm looking to continue to employ will be the cardio to keep the weight down. I've also started to get things under control with what I'm eating as well (FINALLY), and I'm watching that a little closer.

In terms of climbing specific training, I realised that I was dying with the endurance aspect of some of the longer routes, especially when I've been on outdoor routes. In order to combat that I'm doing circuits on the bouldering wall at my gym to try to build up endurance at a relatively high level of strength. I'm also going to get a bunch of holds for home and set up a small board with holds hanging off it which I can practice off, as opposed to buying another hangboard (although I was REALLY close to getting my hands on the revolution grill, it just seemed a bit expensive).

Well - that's it for the time being. I'll let you know what training I get up to; but over the last two days it's just really been climbing. Stay safe :D

1 comment:

  1. Rock climbing is an extreme sport that leaves no room for guess work. There are several styles to choose from, with the level of safety ranging from very safe to life-threatening. You need to know just how far you're willing to go.

    climbing tips

    ReplyDelete