Friday 8 February 2013

Nowra Trip, Day 2

After burning out a bit on Day 1, we decided that we should check out the rest of Thompson's Point as we never really ended up getting to the other end of the crag. It had been suggested that there were plenty of classics that we were yet to look at, and so that was one of the main priorities - to get on some of the more famous walls down at Nowra.

First, we started off with Vanderholics*** 25m (18), which was a fairly good climb. It was pretty apparent that I was absolutely smashed from the day before, and I didn't really have that much confidence going up the route, which was disappointing to say the least, but I still ended up getting to the finish. The cave was a particularly interesting feature but I've gotta admit, I've never really enjoyed climbing when there are caves around as it gives you something to hit if you fall.. same goes with slabs.

Next we hopped onto Birdsville Track*** 23m (20), which was a really fantastic climb :D I lead it again and it was great! Lots of concentration required for the first couple of bolts, and in the end it yielded a fairly spectacular route with a very interesting midsection. This is also the point at which I'm quite sure I figured I climb better on a slightly more difficult grade where I focus more on the climbing and execution of moves, as opposed to actually getting injured if something goes wrong.

The final climb of the day was Gun Barrel Highway*** 23m (19), which was also a great route. Dom led this one; lots of interesting moves and fairly sustained climbing to the top.

And that was it for our Nowra trip! We pretty much decided to bail at this point due to the sun beginning to threaten to start frying us, and the fact that we hadn't eaten lunch yet. But it was a great trip - certainly will be back for more fun times in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment