Sunday 21 October 2012

Sunday - Awesome climbing. Climbing Training's paying off!!

So the climbing training in the last month and a half has really been going well, and I think that today I definitely saw the results of a good last bit of climbing. Had a session at St. Peters today and managed to junk through a couple of warm up walls before getting convinced by Dom to hop on a few of the higher grade walls. Initially I didn't really expect much but I'd seen some of the holds over some of the past attempts that Dom had, and they really hadn't looked too awkward.

TRAINING WORKS. I'm fully excited about the results! I fell of a couple of the moves on my first 24 but managed to hop back on afterwards and pretty much finished the whole thing (I'll confess that I haven't yet because I peeled off midway, but only because another climber was on top of my holds on the right and I admit I didn't have the strength to stay on that "rest" hold). But having said that I'm super excited and I'm sure that the next time I step in that gym I'll bag that climb.

Also tried the moves on a couple of 26's and was actually quite pleasantly surprised that I could get through a lot of the moves; of course there are still the grade 26 moves which are out of reach, but not by much! The focus on chest/core work over the last month has really been key in a lot of the improvement and I certainly felt it throughout the day.

That was about it; I'm just happy that I'm beginning to crack into the realm of 5.12. I'm sure that over the next six months or so I'll be able to consolidate that and hopefully bring my lead climbing up as well.

Other training today:


  • 4km run, just a light run to get the legs moving a bit.
  • Balance board to rehab the ankle injury. (I tried squats on the balance board - that looks like a really good exercise for control. I think I'll work it into my regular progressions).
  • Core work. Always more core work.
  • Some stretching.
Feeling great. Stay Strong. :) and GET EXCITED!

No comments:

Post a Comment