Monday 29 October 2012

Climbing Training: Last couple of days - Tiredness, Lethargy, and Bike Training

Man - haven't been feeling it in the last few days; since the last saturday I've been feeling slightly off. Having said that, I've still been focusing on the training in the gym - got a session in on Saturday and Monday as well.

Saturday:

  • Lots of running around with things to be done for work purposes, but got an 11km cycle in the morning on my way to work. Not the best form of cardio for the day, but I'm not complaining.
  • Bouldering in the evening for a couple of hours. Been sequencing some of the harder moves on the 4's and just trying to consolidate the 4A, 4B grade. I'm also trying some 4x4's to see if I can translate some of the strength from the 4's across. Got some climbing in afterwards, but felt absolutely pumped by the end of the day! My skin was also feeling pretty sore by the end of it.
Had to cancel the session I had planned on Sunday, but got a new pair of Miura VS's. To be honest I was pretty intimidated in the shop at how super tight they were; it's really not that fun wearing them and breaking them in as a shoe, but I can also feel that as time goes by they'll go from painful to snug... Hopefully...

Monday:
Probably one of the longest days of my life, in terms of getting exercise done. Got up early to hop on the cycle to uni, then cycled to St. Peters, climbed, and got home. Details below:
  • Cycling: All up I finished 51km for the day. Not a bad crowning achievement, and I thought it was pretty impressive. But by the end of the day I was outright buggered. I've never felt so tired in my life. Not only that, but the WIND is so annoying! Especially when you're getting back onto the road; there was literally no point riding on the road apart from trying to play Russian Roulette with cars. It was super frustrating having to battle with the wind; everything just felt so much slower.
  • Climbing: Got to St. P pretty soon after finishing my classes and tested a whole bunch of walls with the new Miura VS's. It was painful to be in those shoes, but the bouldering was really good; I've really consolidated my way into grade 3 (wow that sounds so sad... such a low grade :\ ). But I'm working on the moves in grade 4 and hopefully I'll have some of them at least consolidated by the end of the year. I took an hour off in the middle and then hopped on some walls, but climbed outright terribly. I felt great at the start, but by the time I got to my 5th/6th climb I found my strength was fading fast and the shoes were agonizingly painful to be in, hence I called it quits pretty soon after that.
I think yesterday (Monday) was one of the only days I've felt that feeling where I was like "Man screw this." It was pretty humbling and disappointing to have come from last week's work where I was projecting the moves on a 26 (5.12c) to falling off every 22 (5.11a) in the building. But I suppose that's how training goes, and I'll be back in the gym later tonight. 

Finally; as a bit of a side note; super excited that I got some cycling shoes coming in with the cleats - they should arrive within the next fortnight and I might chuck a post on here for that - just because I'm super excited about it all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment